Early Landowners and Settlers of White Creek

From “Our Yesteryears”

Name Notes
Aiken, Edward Millwright. Also operated a Grist Mill on Lot # 17 of the Walloomsac Patent, which he later sold. Left White Creek about 1803 and bought Johnson Hall in Johnstown, NY.
Allen, Ebenezer
Allen, John Believed to be the original settler of White Creek after the French and Indian War. Settled on Lot #16 of the Walloomsac Patent. “Our Yesteryears” says he had a quarter section or 600 acres, but the whole of Lot #16 wasn’t much more than half that, if he leased or bought it all, which isn’t likely.
Allen, Zebulon
Barber, Oliver
Barrett, John
Bowen, George Owned land in the Bain Patent.
Briggs, Allen
Carpenter, Sider O.
Chase, Seth Quaker from Dutchess County, NY.
Corey, John
Cornell, Daniel
Cornell, Paul
Covell, Simeon Leased and settled on two lots totalling 127 acres in Great Lot #14 of the Walloomsac Patent in 1768, purchased it in 1775. Also purchased land in the Bain Patent and Shaftsbury, VT.
Curtis, Comfort Son of settlers John and Margaret Curtis. Cabinet Maker and Coach Builder. Loyalist.
Dorr, Joseph
Dwinell, Ebenezer Owned several pieces of land in White Creek, including Lot #14 of the Bain Patent and a farm on a lot in the Van Corlaer/Lake Patent abutting Lot #16 of the Walloomsac Patent, where he was living when he died. He married John Allen’s daughter Hannah, but seems to have been living in Shaftsbury as late as 1784.
Gooding, David
Jacques, Jonathan
Joslin, Benjamin
Kellogg, Stephen Ran a flax mill downstream from Aiken’s Grist Mill, on Lot #14 of the Walloomsac Patent.
Lacy, Isaac
Lake, James
Lake, John
Lake, Nicholas
Lake, Thomas
Lucas, Francis
Lucas, Nathaniel
Merrit, Jacob From Dutchess County, NY. Originally ran a store on Lot # 12 of the Walloomsac Patent at the north end of Cobble Hill Road, later moved it into the Village.
Merritt, Benjamin From Dutchess County, NY. Originally ran a store on Lot # 12 of the Walloomsac Patent at the north end of Cobble Hill Road, later moved it into the Village.
Mosher, Allen
Mosher, John
Perrine, Isaac
Rice, Asa
Richards, William (Dr.)
Sayles, Duty
Smith, Benjamin
Smith, Howland
Smith, Joseph
Smith, Sanford (Dr.)
Southwick, Elisha
Stewart, Joseph Jr.
Sweet, John
Van Corlaer, Arent Part owner of the Van Corlaer/Lake Patent of 1762. Built the Trading Post there around 1711. Lived in Sancoick.
Van Surdam, Nicholas
Waite, William
Walworth, Dyer
Wheeler, Elias
Wilcox, Noah Owned a farm and trip-hammer on Lot #13 of the Walloomsac Patent.
Wilcox, Robert Owned a farm and trip-hammer on Lot #13 of the Walloomsac Patent.
Wilkinson, Garner
Wood, Isaac Owned part of Lot #11 of the Walloomsac Patent.
Wood, John Owned part of Lot #11 of the Walloomsac Patent.

 

Owners of smaller lots on the Great Lot #14 of the Walloomsac Patent, divided in 1794 by the Washington County Court of Common Pleas.

This is strange, as Lot #14 had begun to be divided up earlier than 1765, and some of these people had been there since at least 1768, such as Ebenezer Allen, while others were not the original settlers on this land. Perhaps the residents had begun to squabble over boundary lines, as there seem to be few if any existing deeds and surveys were vague.

Micajah Covill (Covell) Lot #1
Walter Wood(s) Lot #2
Edward Askew Lot #3
Ebenezer Allen Lot #4
Abraham Hodges Lot #5
Abraham Staples Lot #6
Tibitts Towle Lot #7
Joseph Mosier (Mosher) Lot #8
Allen Mosier (Mosher) Lot #9
Zebulon Cornwall Lot #10
Elisha Southwick Lot #11
John Tobias Lot #12

 

Lots ranged in size from ¼ to 105 acres.

 

The 11 who settled and/or owned lots in Lt. John Gregor’s Patent, from Albany County legal records from 1788-90

Name Notes
Briggs, Abraham
Hunt, James The Hunts seem to have moved up from Dutchess County with the other Quakers who settled in White Creek. James Jr. and wife Anna Chase appear to have later moved on to Madison County, NY.
McCool, John Buried with his wife and 1 daughter in the Old Turnpike Cemetery in Cambridge. He also owned Lot #14 of the Bain Patent.
McVicar, Archibald
Perry, John
Powers, John
Saxton, William
Searles, George
Soule, John
Trip, Benjamin
Wright, Abraham

 

 

Some of those who settled and/or owned land in the Lt. James Bain Patent, from Mortgages issued by John Munro found at the Albany County Hall of Records

Names Notes
Chase, Phineas Owned Lot #12 of the Bain Patent. Called “of White Creek” in the Munro Mortgages.
Fenton, John Owned Lot #13 of the Bain Patent. Called “of White Creek” in the Munro Mortgages.
Luddington, Stephen Owned Lot #13 of the Bain Patent. Called “of White Creek” in the Munro Mortgages.
Preston, Othniel Owned Lot #15 of the Bain Patent. Called “of Fowles” in the Munro Mortgage. Fowles was Munro’s Land Patent, most of which is now in Shaftsbury.
Tiffany, Benjamin Owned Lot #7 of the Bain Patent. Called “of Fowles” in the Munro Mortgage. Fowles was Munro’s Land Patent, most of which is now in Shaftsbury.

 

From Other Sources

 

Names Notes
Curtis, Comfort Owned land on Bain Patent, probably lot #10 or #11. Married to daughter of Phineas Chase of Lot #12. Son of settlers John and Margaret Curtis. Cabinet Maker and Coach Builder. Loyalist, fought in the Battle of Bennington. Lost his land in MacVicar’s “Clarendon” as a result (Shaftsbury).
Curtis, John Owned part of Lot #11 of Walloomsac Patent, probably came up from Dutchess County. Almost certainly died before 1777. (Undocumented sources say 1758.)
Curtis, John Jr. Took over parents’ part of Lot #11 of Walloomsac Patent. Supposed to have died by 1779. Loyalist, fought in the Battle of Bennington. Lost his land in MacVicar’s “Clarendon” as a result (Shaftsbury).
Hodges, Abraham Owned part of Lot #14 of Walloomsac Patent, (western half), next to Wilcoxs’ Lot #13.
McCool, John Owned Lot #14 of the Bain Patent, and a ~200 acre farm in the John Gregor Patent.
Mosher, Jabez Owned land in the Bain Patent, probably Lot #16 or #17.
Tanner, Joshua Owned land in the Bain Patent, probably Lot #16 or #17. Later moved away from White Creek.

 

Original Patent Owners. Most of these never lived in White Creek, but did own most of the land originally!

Names Notes
Bain, James Lt. in the Queen’s Royal American Rangers. Grant of 2000 acres, 1765.
Campbell, Archibald Lt. in the 45th Foot. Half owner of the Grant and Campbell Patent of 4000 acres granted in 1765.
Embury, Philip; Embury, Peter; Wilson, James; Cowen, Moses; Wilson, John; Wilson, Samuel;

Wilson, George; and Proctor, Thomas.

Embury Wilson Patent of 8000 acres of 1764 east of Schermerhorn’s and north of Grant and Campbell’s. Most of this is in White Creek, but some ended up in Vermont and some in Jackson, NY.
Gordon, Ann Lt. in the 42nd Foot. 2000 acre Grant in 1765, most in Shaftsbury. A small corner is in White Creek.
Grant, James Lt. in the 45th Foot. Half owner of the Grant and Campbell Patent of 4000 acres granted in 1765.
Gregor, John Lt. in the 42nd Foot. Grant of 2000 acres in 1765.
Sawyer, Isaac and 60 others Sawyer or Cambridge Patent of 1761. One of 4 tracts totaling 60,000 acres.
Schermerhorn, Ryer and Schermerhorn, Jacob and Quackenbush, John 10,000 acres granted in 1761. Called both the Schermerhorn and Annasaquoit Patent. Includes much of White Creek northeast of Cambridge and west of the Embury/Wilson Patent. Some of it ended up in Jackson, NY.
Van Corlaer, Arent and Lake, Nicholas, and 4 others. Fur Trader, built Trading Post in 1711. Received Patent later in 1761 for 5000 acres north of the Walloomsac Patent..
Van Ness, Cornelius; Delancy, James; Collins, Edward; and others. Walloomsac Patent of 1738/9. 12000 acres in total, but not settled until the 1760’s. Most lies in Rensselaer County NY or Vermont today. Includes the hamlet of White Creek.
Van Rensselaer, Maria; Courtland, Jacobus; and others. Hoosick Patent of 1684. A small part of this Patent includes part of White Creek west of the Walloomsac Patent.